Friday, May 27, 2005

Confessions of a dope fiend...

Ok, I wasn't really planning on using this blog for this, but after memorial day, I begin treatment for hepatitis C. I've been suspicious that I had it for about a year, but never got tested from fear. Finally, the second week of April I was diagnosed. I had no clue what I was in for, and still don't to be honest, but I'm learning daily. Thank god for Usenet, and alt.support.hepatitis-C. After reading what others have/are going through, I feel extremely lucky. The most common for appears to be Genotype 1a, which takes 12 months of interferon/Ribavirin treatment. The interferon helps your immune system, while Ribavirin is an anti-viral. I have Genotype 3a, which has a much greater success rate. 80% to 90% after only 6 months of treatment. That's all I have to say on the subject at the moment, but I'm sure I will be spilling my riba-rage all over this blog down the road...