Wednesday, June 01, 2005

fear and loathing in nawlins....

So, I had my liver biopsy two weeks ago today. To my surprise, on the day after the biopsy, my doctor called and informed me that I have second stage fibrosis. For anyone interested, there are 4 stages, the 4th being cirrhosis. Happily, I'm not to the point of liver transplant, but that's not what I want to write about today.
When my doctor called me, he asked that I call him this past Monday. Obviously neither of us realized it was Memorial day, so the call was made yesterday.
I fully expected to begin treatment for my condition yesterday, but it wouldn't be...
Holly, the nurse I spoke to, informed me that before I can begin, the insurance company has to approve the treatment. I don't think that there will be much of a problem with that...it's the waiting that's killing me. I just want to get on with the treatment.
Hopefully I'll have a time frame today or tomorrow.
In the mean time, I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for the months to come. It's only right that I should sink into a hermits lifestyle. I see absolutely no use in keeping contact with the world at large whilst I go through this chemical hell.
I continue to read alt.support.hepatits-c for info, and this will for the most part where I will look for companionship. Rather this, than subjecting anyone to what may be a really bad time.