Sunday, April 10, 2005

French Quarter Festival...

Well, being a boring Saturday I decided to scoot over to the French Quarter festival. It's amazing how many tourists are in the city right now...sheesh!
So, I leave to go catch the streetcar as that is my normal means of transportation. Not being prone to waiting around, I decided to walk until it caught up to me. I need the exercise, and besides, a friend I was meeting in the Quarter requested I pick up a pack of zig zags for him. I made it down about 15 blocks when the first car got to me. When I tell you that it was packed tighter than a german cattle car on it's way to a concentration camp I'm not exaggerating. What was funny was that the driver stopped and then stepped out of the door and looked back down the track and said, "I see another car coming." There was nothing in sight, so I don't know what she was trying to prove, but never the less, there was no room for another body on that car, and I really don't like standing that close to anyone anyway...I've be pickpocketed on the streetcar in similar circumstances.
So, I continue walking. One stop before the Lee Circle I noticed another car coming down the tracks so I stopped. What a waste of time, cause it was just as bad.
I ended up walking all the way to the Ryan's on Decatur to meet my friend. That's about a 3 mile walk, but I made it no problem, but whilst walking across Canal Street I noticed the Magazine St. Bus, which I could have taken and save butt loads of time...ce la vie.
We ended up walking around to all the stages, my friend being out of his mind for some substance challenged reason, couldn't seem to stop long enough to listen to the music. I finally got him to stop to watch a wonderful saxophonist named Rebecca Barry. Talk about the FUGLIEST thing that's ever wrapped her lips around a reed! Still, she has an amazing sound, and her voice was like heaven. The best thing was the base player though...I would be surprised to find out that she was even legal, yet she belted out riffs like and old pro, and her voice was nothing to bitch about either.
After about an hour, I decided it was time for me to vacate the Quarter for home and caught the magazine Street bus back uptown...