Saturday, April 16, 2005

RTA: Rapidly Transporting Assholes...yeah right, that's the word I was looking for!

Ok, so I don't have a car. I don't need a car, and for the most part NORTA(New Orleans Regional Transit Authority) works for me. I can make it to work in about 20 minutes on the weekdays, but I regress. There are tons of tourists in town during this time of the year, so you would think that some of the, shall we call them diverse locals, would keep their business to themselves.
So, I'm heading home from work yesterday, decided to take the Magazine Bus rather than the streetcar. The streetcar in the afternoon and evening resembles a cattle car on the way to the ovens. Still, there were a few tourists on the bus, and there were two locals that just had to spout their biz like they were sitting in their living room.
The conversation began when a black lady and a baby got on the bus. The lady was obviously *NOT* the mother, but grandmother. A black fellow in his 40's was sitting in the seat across the way, and greeted the woman...they knew each other. He promptly asked where the lady's daughter was. The lady answered that she was in jail...something about principle to murder. Seems her boyfriend had been killed for ripping his heroin connection off. The conversation went on and on, the fellow in the bus commented that he had "given 40 years back."
All the while, the two tourists sitting in the seat across from mine listening and the colour washing from their faces at every sentence.
Personally, I wish I would have had a tape recorder, the conversation, as scary as it was, had a humorous side and would have transfered here much better had I recorded it.