Saturday, July 16, 2005

riba-rage and a prejudice black girl...

well, I almost had my first publicly exhibition of my riba-rage today.

I slept most of the day, but when I awoke this afternoon around 1PM, I realized that I was fucking starving.

Off to the A&P for some mayo, crackers, non-alcoholic beer, and bananas.

Well, I get to the check out, and notice that one of the bananas is split open. No worries, I think. I hand it to the cashier and explain that I don't want that one, but she tries to weigh it with the rest.

"I don't want that one," I say, as politely as I can manage.

I could tell she didn't like me, and my feeling was that it was because I'm a white boy. But I ignored this.

She bagged as she rang up the items, making sure to totally destroy the remainer of the bunch of bananas once her she thought her hand, and action, was concealed inside of the plastic bag.. I saw her do this, and had to bite my tongue, which proved to be a very hard thing for me at the time, but I never react when one of another race shows prejudice toward me. I just figure that the individual is IGNORANT, and I'm not going to drop to that level.

I instead pulled the bananas out of the bag and placed them on the counter.

"These need to be replaced," I said.

The cashiers eyes opened wide. She actually thought I didn't notice her sabotage at first, but when she realized that I had, I could see the fear in her eyes. She looked over toward the managers office, probably thinking that I might call the manager and complain. Something inside me told me to let it slide. I did because I felt that she would quickly try to escalate the situation into a racial thing.

Prejudice is ugly no matter who perpetrates it, and I don't play that way.

I'm so glad the sharp edge of the sword prevailed rather than the dull edge of the brain fog, cause I could feel the riba-rage spinning ever closer to the surface...