Thursday, September 01, 2005

my servers are trapped IN new orleans..

well, I'm on the lamb. I managed to escape New Orleans before noon on Tuesday. Devochka is fine, and I'm in Baton Rouge. Homeless sort of, but I'm good... well, here's the story...

on Tuesday morning around 10AM or so...I decided to walk over to the A&P on Magazine to see if they might have done the right thing and started putting the food out for the people. On the way, I ran into a number of people. H.B, a teacher at local catholic University is who I found on Louisiana Ave. Since I had gas and water, and he had electric, we decided to pool our efforts.

We aquired all the food that we could cook from Harveys apartment, the headed back to my place. In route, the looting was blatant. There was a van and a car parked at the Exxon station on Louisiana Ave. and St. Charles and there were several people that had broken the glass of the door and were taking EVERYTHING out of the store. I even saw a woman with an arm full of motor oil. I guess they needed an oil change.

After going about 24 hours without phone service because I couldn't find an old style corded phone I found one and was able to get in touch with a good friend in Houston that was able to fill me in on what was going on.

Harvey was listening to the radio, and my friend was filling me in, and another emergency evactuation order came through. This time it was use any means necessicary to get out of Orleans Parish.

Harvey suggested we hitchhike to the bridge and get to the west bank and make our way to Gonzales, but I knew a better way.

My landlord had two white vans in front of the building. I decided that it would be to our benefit to "borrow" one of the vans. Unfortunatly I didn't have a key, so I had to improvise. I saved the van, but will have to do a couple minor repairs.

We were in a hurry. We knew there were breaches in the levy systems, but didn't know if we were going to have water in 5 minutes of 5 hours. It was time to get the fuck out a all costs.

Let me tell you that I have never done anything like this before, but I'm happy I did, because Orleans Parish AIN'T NO PLACE FOR A WHITE BOY at this time.

We got the thing started, then headed down Magazine...we had to go the wrong way on the one way section of the street because Camp was totally inpassible. We cut over to Tchop and jumped on the Crecent City Connection, picking up the first of 5 hitch hikers on the way out. We followed the West Bank Expressway to I-310, the crossed to I-10 and continued toward Baton Rouge. We picked up an additional 4 hitch hikers on the way, and stopped in Gonzales to drop them off. 4 of them got out right there in the middle of the street, and the Vet, the first one we picked up was dropped off at the Lamar Expo Center.

Harvey and I continued to Baton Rouge, meeting my father at Jones Creek Cafe' for a drink. Erin came by to let us follow her to her house, but we stayed for a bit, though Erin and her daughter Sydney took Devochka with them to get her out of the heat.

We are now staying at Erins. I have brought Devochka to my fathers because Erin is allergic to cats, but she's fine, and I'll be visiting her in a few to take care of her.

I've gotten a friend in VA to get my ebo.net email backup, and he's in the process of getting everything set so that ebo.net website will become active, though it's an older version of the site. I have asked for donations, and if you are able, please donate to the cause. I need to rescue what's left of my possessions if I can, and we very well may need to arm ourselves for protection.

Please help our cause and donate what you can to help support our mission.